Saturday, March 5, 2011

Cancun in the Morning: The Calm Before the Storm

I woke up in paradise this morning. After a long day of packing, travelling and preparing for the unexpected, I settled in at about 2 this morning at the Grande Caribe Real in STS's Spring Break Headquarters: Cancun, Mexico.

At 7:30 a.m. this morning, I popped out of bed and headed to the beach, too excited to sleep and hoping to get a glimpse of the beach before the hungover college kids emerge. The view was incredible when my eyes peered over my new home for the next 2 weeks.

Unbelievable. It was perfectly windy this morning. Enough to allow me to adjust from the four feet of snow I was braving in Syracuse just a week ago. The weather in Baltimore isn't nearly that harsh, but I certainly will not be looking forward to the feeling of early spring when I get home. It feels like summer love here already.


The hotel that we are staying at is one that I had read about a million times before at STS, but without actually visiting it, the brochures can do it no justice. The 5-star Grand Caribe Real is situated in the heart of the infamous Hotel Zone and next to its sister resort, the Royal.


The Grand Caribe view from the beach


Beach Palapas



The Royal Resort Next Door

Early Morning in Cancun!

What a beautiful way to spend a Saturday morning. Today is full of orientations for new students coming in and although I am unsure as to where these next 2 weeks will take me, I am thrilled to start this journey. 

1 comment: